Wednesday, December 3, 2008

1. Pick a passage from Act I of Hamlet. Write it down. Practice citing it (Ham.Act.Scene.Line Numbers). Why did you pick this passage? What do you think it's trying to say?

Before my God, I might not this believe withought the sensible and true avouch of mine own eyes (Hamlet.ActI.SceneI.68-70)

I picked this passage because to me it is kind of funny for me to imagine what a person in Horatio's position would say in modern times.

I think that he is pretty much saying: Wow! I cannot believe that I just saw a ghost even though I saw it with my own eyes.


2. The ghost is Hamlet plays a crucial role in setting events in motion? Are you a Horatio(skeptic of ghosts) or a Marcellus(believer in ghosts)? Why or why not?

I would say that I am a lot more like Horatio because I like to have concrete evidence that I can see to be able to believe in most things.

3. We get to know characters via a variety of channels: what they do, what they say, what they think, how they're described, and what others say/think about them. Do a character analysis of one of the following characters: Hamlet, Claudius, Horatio, Gertrude Find a specific passage for each of the following.
Hamlet
What They Say/Think: He is kind of sad and depressed

Passage:(Hamlet.ActI.SceneII.79-89)

What They Do:Talks about how he wants to take action against Claudius, but can't.

Passage:(Hamlet.ActI.SceneII.134-163)

How They're Described:Described as being sad all the time

Passage:(Hamlet.ActI.SceneII.70-74)

What Other Characters Say/Think About Them:He is not liked by many people

Passsage:(Hamlet.ActI.SceneSceneIII.122-142)


Based on all of the textual evidence, what is your overall opinion about this character?
I would say that he is very misunderstood because he cannot show his true personality because he is very sad.

4. Put yourself in Hamlet's position, what would would do with the news from the ghost? Do you trust the ghost's word or do you need better evidence? Would you tell anyone else what the ghost said to you or would you keep it a secret?
I would trust the ghost's word because I would think that there would be a good reason for there being a ghost. I would keep the news a secret and then I would carry out what he has asked me to do.

No comments: